An interesting day out awaits you at Bungay Castle
In 1294 Bungay castle was built by Roger Bigod. The castle was designed to protect the town with curtain walls and provided the famous twin towers of the gate house which still remain today. Visitors coming to see the remains of Bungay Castle will find additional information located on the Bigod Castle plinth by the entrance to the site.
After a successful bid for European 5b matched funding in 1997 by the Bungay Castle Trust, funds were obtained for the conversion of a derelict garage site, on the approaches to the Castle, into a visitors centre, which stands today.
The centre was officially opened in July 2000 and provides a new entrance to the Castle and improved facilities for its many visitors. These facilities include a courtyard cafe area, tourist information centre, a heritage area and a model of medieval Bungay produced by The Bungay Society.
The centre will be open during the tourist season but is available for booking for exhibitions and other events throughout the year.
So come to Bungay and take in some real heritage – Another great reason to visit Bungay in Suffolk!